Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Cultivated Christian


cultivate -- to form or refine, as by education (American Heritage dictionary)


I've decided to become a Cultivated Christian.

I spent the first half of my life pleasing myself. Now I want to dedicate my time to the things of God. I want to continually grow in wisdom and the knowledge of the Lord just as it says in Psalms and Proverbs. I want to share what I discover with like-minded others.

And so I hope to blog about EVERYTHING CHRISTIAN in the most eclectic way possible, from the tried and true to cutting edge, from Bible translations to movies, books, and cds and covering an array of topics like history, science, politics, tithing, the antichrist, evangelism, worldviews, the culture war, terrorism, Mystery Babylon, the Nephilim, and everything in between.

I had no idea becoming a Christian would turn into such a speed-of-light rocket ride of learning and growth. I truly believe we need all the knowledge we can lay our hands on. Too many Christians seem to have no conception of the amazingly radical tenets of their faith, never mind anything else. Sadly this has been shown by poll after poll and by statistics that reveal Christians are no different from the average American even when it comes to sharing the same shameful rate of divorce.

Years ago there was a book, CULTURAL LITERACY, which set out to halt the decline of our rapidly depleting stores of cultural knowledge via a dictionary style listing of the people, places, and things of Western Civilization. Now it's time to cultivate Christianity and Biblical Literacy as if our lives depended on it. Because they do.

Marilyn


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, Marilyn,

I am totally with you on how awesome it is to be a Christian. In the Fall of 1996, I attended a Christian Retreat called "The Walk to Emmaus" in Santa Claus, Indiana. It is funded by the Methodist Church but anyone could go, and you had to sign up almost a year in advance. I was truly in the presence of the Lord at that retreat. You are prayed for from the time you sign up and throughout the weekend, and the Lord's presence was so strong, I could not stop crying BECAUSE...I felt SO unworthy. It was there through the passage that was the "theme" of the weekend from Jeremiah 29:11-13, that I made the decision to completely change my life. I knew God did not expect me to stay where I was... and the rest is history. I praise God everyday for HIS provision and HIS words in the Bible. I have been going through a difficult time at work and I read in a magazine about Max Lucado's book "Facing Your Giants" and I bought it and read it through, and it helped me more than I can express with the scriptures he brings out in the book. I have gone to work "covered" in His word, and it has made a tremendous difference in my attitude about what I face in the workplace.

Thanks for starting this blog, Marilyn. It is wonderful to have a place to talk about your love for the Lord and share of all His wonderful works, and I got to see a miracle yesterday when I walked in to the hospital room of Robert's friend, Tom and he was sitting up in bed, smiling, and talking and a week before, he was on a respirator and his nurse told me he was in critical condition. GOD IS ABLE!